This article was given to us by Leona Ewert, one of Dad's cousins. This is the church that sponsored Dad and Mom in India, and Grandpa Hiebert was its first pastor.
The Mt. Lake M. B. Church was founded by Elder Heinrich Voth as an outreach of the Carson Church. In 1890 a meeting house was built five miles south of Mt. Lake. In 1901 it was moved by wagon to town. This was due to the fact that a larger part of the congregation had moved to new land in North Dakota and Saskatchewan. A goodly number already lived in town.
Later this church building became the wing of a new church built close to it. The new church was enlarged and remodeled twice--1913 and in 1948. The last new church building was constructed in 1971. After four years the note burning ceremony was held. How happy the congregation was to have a debt-free modest modern new church!
In the early years the two churches, Carson and Mt. Lake, were under the leadership of Elder Heinrich Voth as one body, meeting in two places. In 1918 the leadership of the Mountain Lake Church was turned over to Rev. N. N. Hiebert. He and his wife had to return from missionary work in India after two years because of his ill health. He was the first missionary sent out by the M. B. Conference of America and also the first Pastor of Mt. Lake Church. He held that position for 12 years.
Pastors that have served after that are:
Henry E. Wiens, 1930-1944
Dan E. Friesen, 1944-1950
John G. Berg, 1950-1958
Jacob F. Froese, 1959-1967
Victor Becker, 1967-1970
G. S. Warkentin, (interim) 1971
David Nightengale, 1971-1975
Gene White, 1976-1982
Roger Engbrecht, 1982 - (this is all the information included in this article)
During the ministry of Pastor Dan Friesen the two churches, Carson and Mt. Lake were separately incorporated. The business which thus far, over 50 years, had been handled more or less unitedly were taken over by the two churches separately. However, the spiritual unity was maintained. Today the two congregations still have two Sundays a year together, morning and evening services, called "Semi-Annuals." Occasionally C. E. programs and special meetings are held together.
At one time the Mt. Lake church membership was 246, but now it is much less. The reason - quite a few members have died, some have moved away because of work, others are away to schools of highest learning and some are serving in missions abroad or at home.
Missions have always been a predominating factor of the church. Hardly can the two churches, Carson and Mt. Lake, be separated in this worthy cause. Many missionaries grew up in the Carson area and got their early training there. Later some of them moved to Mt. Lake and served in the church, like N. N. Hiebert, H. E. Wiens and others. The approximate number of missionaries would well be 40-50 that are serving in this world.
Just recently the congregation of Mt. Lake had a very special Sunday morning service. Four young highschoolers and one older stood on the front stage and told about blessings at a Campus Life Crusade in Washington D. C., 1985. They had received a new vision of Christian living and serving. Later that same night a young senior at Tabor College this coming year arrived home from his summer service in Europe. Now it is the responsibility, privilege and joy of the congregation to pray for these six young men and others. May they continue in this new vision.