Back to Stories

Memories of Grandpa and Grandma Jungas

by Frank Jungas

Part 3

It was so cold and so snowy in those days that when the snow hardened on the banks, you could walk right on top of them. You could drive right over them even. The farmers, when they were coming into town to try to get some food, would have their sleds and their horses and they wouldn't stay on the road--they would go up over the banks until they got to town. Boy, I tell you, if they had broken through, they would have had to stay there until spring!

I know I had a lot of chores to do when I came home from school. That sure helped me stay out of any kind of trouble that the younger generation is getting into these days. I would have to pick up the coal, and then I'd bought a 410 for $4.75 from the store and a box of shells for only about 39 cents, I think. So I'd take my 410 and then I'd walk east along the railroad tracks and I would shoot every pheasant and every cottontail that I'd see and bring them home, and then Mother and I would clean them and she would can them. Remember, as I said before, we never had a deepfreeze.

Henry and Mabel Jungas with Frank, Dorothy and Helen

Then Dad and I and John did a lot of fishing. There were some lakes there that when it froze over, they would get low on oxygen--so they opened them up for any kind of fishing except for using dynamite, or something like that. And so we'd go out to Heron Lake, I remember, and we'd catch gunnysacks full of Northerns and bring them home and then we'd have a box in the snow someplace, and that was our freezer. And so we'd put them in there and then during the winter we could have fish.

Those were hard, hard days but it sure did me good. It taught me a lot of things that helped when I got into the service. In fact, I think it helped save my life so that I could come home again with Dick and Helen, my wife. It kept me out of maybe a lot of trouble that I could have gotten into otherwise, so I really appreciate that. I know it was the Lord's leading--it had to be, like when we were overseas in Guadacanal and all these different islands where we were fighting then, pushing the Japs back.

Four Generations

I remember that at Guadacanal I got word that Dick had been born, and he was 22 months old before I ever got to see him, when I finally got home. I made a covenant with the Lord there when we were getting bombed about every night by the Japs and these big bombs. They would drop them and they would blow a hole in the ground about 20 feet across and about 30 feet deep, so you know how powerful they were. Even if we'd been in a foxhole, which we had to have then to try to protect ourselves, we wouldn't have made it either because the bombs would have blown the whole thing out. So I made a covenant with the Lord that if He would let me come home and live to see Dick and be able to raise him, I'd try to do all the public service that I could to try to repay it. Of course, you can hardly do any repaying to the Lord for something like this but I tried. I was commissioner for 28 years, county commissioner, and I was on the school board for six years and different things in town. I was on committees, so I think I completed my part and I know the Lord completed His part because I got home.

I really enjoyed the young life that I went through. We made it through all those years. They were rough years, those depression years. If we hadn't lived off of the land, we wouldn't have made it.

(To be continued)