Back to Recipes
This recipe is from a cookbook the Y-Teens of Hillsboro High School put
together when Gwen and I were there. I remember spending hours madly
typing up some of these recipes, trying to beat the deadline. I never
dreamed I'd be typing one of these again for a computer webpage.
This recipe is by Maysie Eitzen and Mrs. Harry Eitzen
- 2 cakes yeast
- 1 C. fat, 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard or shortening
- 1/2 C. warm water
- 1 T. salt
- 6-7 C. flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 C. whole milk
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water.
- Melt the fat and warm the milk, add salt.
- Mix all ingredients but do not add all the flour at once, but blend in
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Form the zwieback and place on baking sheet. Let rise 45 minutes (or
- Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees hot oven.