Back to Recipes
Betty & Carl's Tiramisu Cake
Betty and Carl made this cake while we siblings were together in Omaha. It is DELICIOUS! Try it.
- 6 oz butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 1/4 c. cake flour
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350'
- Prepare two 9 or 10-inch cake pans by buttering and flouring the sides and bottoms of pans, or place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Add vanilla to the 1 cup of milk and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, place the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar and cream together well. Then add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add 1/2 of the milk and do the same. Follow with another 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the milk and the last of the flour. Mix on low until well combined. Stop mixer and scrape down the sides as needed. Mix for another minute or so on medium speed. Then turn the butter into large bowl that has been washed well.
- Whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar. When the whites start to foam, add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar little by little. Ater all the sugar is added, beat the whites on high until soft peaks form.
- Pile 1/3 of the beaten whites on top of the cake batter and mix like heck. Then pile on the rest and fold gently. Stop before they are completely combined. Divide the batter into the cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched in the center and are just pulling away from the sides
- When cakes are cool enough, remove from pans and refrigerate for awhile. These are fragile layers and are easier to cut and handle when they are cold. Slice each cake in half with a serrated knife so you end up with four layers.
You will need about 1 cup of tiramisu, which is a coffee-flavored syrup. We make our own by mixing 1/4 cup of sugar in 1 cup of water and bringing it to a boil until the sugar dissolves. Then add a coffee-flavored liquer like Kahlua and some strong coffee.
You will also need some bittersweet chocolate chopped coarsely in a food processor to put on top of cake.
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 12 oz butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese ( use the bar, not the softened)
- 1 Tbl. vanilla
- Mix the whipping cream until it forms medium peaks. Set aside.
- Put butter in bowl and beat at medium speed with the paddle until soft and white.
- Beat in powdered sugar until combined.
- Add vanilla.
- Add cream cheese in several parts and mix on low speed until all cream cheese is added and then 2 more minutes.
- Lightly mix in whipped cream, using low speed.
- With a pastry brush, gently pat the tiramisu syrup on each cake layer. Put a reasonable amount of frosting on all four layers, spread it to the edge and sprinkle with chocolate.
- Carefully place each layer on the other until you have four layers. Frost the top again if needed and top with chocolate.
- Chill well before serving.