Back to Recipes
Spinach and Chickpea Curry
This makes a great lunch dish. I double the recipe if serving at dinnertime.
- basmati rice
- 2-3 Tbs. vegetable oil or margarine
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 medium-hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. hot curry powder
- 1 tsp. Spanish paprika (hot paprika, not sweet)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. spinach leaves, tough stems removed
- 14 oz. can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups chicken bouillon
- grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Prepare rice so it will be done when curry is ready.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry onions, garlic and turmeric on low heat for one-half hour or so, until very soft.
- Mix together ginger, chili pepper, cayenne, curry powder, Spanish paprika, cumin, coriander and salt with a small amount of water to make a medium paste.
- Push onions to side of pan and fry spice mixture for 5 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn. Add a little more margarine if needed. Mix spices with onions.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the spinach and chick peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they are well blended with the spices and the spinach has wilted.
- Sprinkle with grated white cheese, if desired.
- Serve hot over rice.