Back to Recipes
Christmas Spiced Beef
This recipe is from Jean. It's a great recipe for special days like Christmas.
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 four- to five pound round or chuck roast
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- A few grindings of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 cups hard cider
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 onions, sliced
- 2-4 carrots, sliced
- 1-2 stalks celery, sliced
- Optional: 1 cup Guinness stout
- Rub the salt into the meat. Cover with a bowl and let it sit refrigerated for 24 hours. Rinse and pat dry.
- Rub the cinnamon, allspice, cloves, black pepper, and brown sugar into the meat. Place in a bowl and add cider, vinegar, bay leaf and 2 onions.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 or 3 days--a week is even better. Turn
- Place meat in a large pan with the marinade and enough water barely to cover.
- Add remaining onions, carrots and celery. Cover pot and simmer for about 3 hours, or until meat is tender and fully cooked. If you like, add 1 cup of stout in the last hour of cooking.
- Serve hot or cold.
(Yield: about 8 servings)