Back to Recipes
E. D. Solomon's Dal
This Dal recipe was given to me by E. D. Solomon, a native of Shamshabad, who was staying with Paul while he attended seminary. It makes a good side dish with Paul's Curried Chicken. Mr. Solomon says this dish is best when made a day ahead of serving.
- 1 cup dal
- 2 liters water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tomato (or can use canned tomatoes)
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves (can use powdered coriander)
- 1/2 onion (or less, if you don't like a lot of onion in it)
- Boil dal, onion and curry powder in 2 liters water for 1 hour. During last part of this time, add tomato and salt.
- In frying pan, heat a little oil; fry onion and coriander (if using powdered coriander, use about 1/4 tsp) until lightly browned. Add some water from the dal mixture.
- Pour onion mixture into pot of dal; stir thoroughly and cook until dal is soft.
- Serve with curried chicken and basmati rice.