Back to Recipes
Nan (Indian bread)
This is from Shobha Rao's recipe book Cuisine of India that Loey
gave us at the family reunion.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 c. scalded milk
- 1 egg
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/2 c. ghee or oil
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar in 2 tablespoons warm
water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg, combine with yeast mixture, flour, milk and salt.
- Knead thoroughly until soft and smooth dough. Cover and keep aside in
a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in volume.
- After 1 hour punch down the dough and divide the dough into 12 balls
and flatten. Roll each ball into 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
- Heat the skillet and fry them using 1 teaspoon ghee. Turn over other
side using 1 teaspoon ghee, fry until brown.
- Serve with meat curry.