Back to Recipes
LOEY'S CURRY RECIPE
This is a curry recipe from Loey that I really enjoy. She says to change
according to your tastes. Our family likes potatoes in curries so I add
- 3 single chicken breasts (cut breasts into 2 pieces each)
- 4 onions, chopped very fine
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tbl coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin (or 1 1/2)
- 3/4 tsp salt (or salt to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ginger or 3/4 inch grated fresh ginger
- 2-3 small green chilis
- 1 1/2 tsp hot curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika (hot paprika, not sweet)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 2 chopped tomatoes or 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups boullion
- sour cream or yoghurt
- Fry onions, garlic and turmeric in butter on low heat for 1 hour or so
to make a paste. Loey covers the pot so the steam stays in.
- Add coriander powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, ginger, chilis, curry
powder and paprika (plus mustard seeds and black pepper, if used). Fry
this mixture for awhile, then add the chicken and fry for another 10
minutes or so until chicken is light brown. Mix chicken and spices so the
pieces are all coated.
- Add chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 1 hour or so, until chicken is soft. Taste for salt level.
Keep fire low so chicken doesn't get hard.
- Add yoghurt or sour cream according to taste; simmer a few minutes