Back to Recipes
Jo's Chicken Biriyani
This is based on Loey's Biriyani recipe, with a few changes and made for a smaller group.
- chicken pieces equal to about 1 1/2 chickens (eg. 3 of each:
legs, thighs, breasts), skinned and cut into pieces
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 2 Tbl garlic, grated
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbl coriander powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 3 tsp hot curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- small can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken boullion
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbl oil
- onions, sliced
- cashew nuts
- small amount of grated onion
- plain yoghurt
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Fry chopped onions and garlic
on low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Make mixture of ginger, cumin, coriander powder, jalapeno
peppers, curry powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt; add a little water
to make somewhat runny texture.
- Push onions to edge of pan; fry spices for 10 minutes over low
heat, stirring constantly. Add more butter if needed. Mix with
- Brown chicken pieces in the masala.
- Add buttermilk, tomato sauce and chicken boullion. Bring to a
boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or under chicken is
- While chicken is cooking, cook rice:
Rinse basmati rice thoroughly, bring water to boil, add salt, oil and rice; reduce heat
and cook until almost done. Add a little water if needed. Then dish into large bowl and hold.
- Fry onions in butter, then add cashews and raisins to brown. Hold.
- In large baking dish, layer: chicken masala, rice, chicken
masala, ending with a layer of rice.
- Put onion mixture over top layer of rice.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake in 325' oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of plain yoghurt mixed with sliced cucumbers,
small amount of grated onion, seasoned with salt & pepper.