Back to Recipes
Green Bean Soup
A recipe of Betty's
- 1 soup kettle of water (estimated 2 quarts of water and add as
- 1 or 2 smoked ham hocks (need to be smoked and not pork hocks)
- 1 or 2 slices of smoked ham 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick; cut into cubes
(some like Virginia
smoked ham, and ask the meat vendor to cut it thick for them)
- 1 large white onion chopped up, but not too fine
- 3-4 potatoes cut up in cubes
- Fresh green beans - estimated one plastic grocery sack full;
cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 tsp. summer savory (fresh is best if you can get it)-- to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water, ham and onion to a boil and then let simmer for at least 1/2 hour.
add a couple of drops of liquid smoke.
- Add green beans, potatoes, and spices
- Simmer until potatoes and beans are well done.
- When ready to serve, put in a little cream or milk. Do not boil