Back to Recipes
Falafel in Pita
This is a recipe from Kristin and Pete. It's a delicious vegetarian
dish----a good alternative to meat recipes.
- 1 box (6 oz.) falafel vegetable burger mix
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 medium-size cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 (6-7 inch) pita breads
- In a bowl, mix falafel and water. Let stand for 10 min. for water to
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 c. yogurt, peanut butter and cumin until smooth.
Gently stir in remaining yogurt.
- In a bowl, mix lettuce, tomato, cucumber and 2 Tbsp. of the yogurt mixture.
- Form the falafel mixture into 12 small patties, using about 1 heaping
Tbsp. for each.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook 3-4
minutes on each side, or until crisp and brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Stuff each pita pocket with about 1/2 c. of lettuce mixture. Add 3
patties, then top with remaining salad and a dollop of yogurt mixture.
- Serves 4. (470 calories, 16 g. fat)