Back to Recipes
Caramel Layer Brownies
A recipe from our new Monmouth Presbyterian Church Cookbook. Yummy, very rich treat! Watch out---once you make them, you'll have a hard time leaving them alone.
- 50 light caramels
- 2/3 cup carnation evaporated milk (divided)
- 1 pkg German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (6-oz.) pkg chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a double boiler. (I use microwave.) Heat until caramels are melted, sitrring constantly, and set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan.
- Combine dry cake mix, butter, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and nuts in large mixing bowl. Stir by hand until dough holds together.
- Press 1/2 of dough into pan. Bake at 350' for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over warm dough and pour caramel mixture over chocolate.
- Crumble remainder of dough over mixture and return to oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Cut into squares.