Back to Recipes
Mother Wiebe's Borscht
Compliments of Chef George Hiebert
This is Uncle George Hiebert's famous Borscht recipe, found on Grandma
Hiebert's computer hard drive!
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef cut into pieces ("7-bone roast" cut works best)
- salt to taste
- water to cover meat in pan
- 1 quart tomato juice (for added flavor use V-8 juice)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 beets cut into strips (optional)
- 2 large carrots cut into strips
- 2 potatoes diced or cut into strips
- 1 green pepper diced or cut into strips
- 1 more onion sliced or chopped
- 1 small cabbage chopped or shredded
- fresh parsley and dill (tied) - or dried parsley & dill (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Place beef pieces in pot; add water to cover meat and salt to taste;
bring to boil.
- Add tomato juice & 2 thinly sliced large onions; continue to cook at a
slow boil until meat is tender.
- Add beets (optional) and carrots. Simmer until these are about half-cooked.
- Add potatoes, green pepper & third onion. Simmer until these
additional vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add cabbage, parsley and dill, and sugar (optional).
- Simmer until cabbage and other vegetables are tender. Be careful not
to overcook the vegetables, especially the cabbage.
- Serve with zwiebach and enjoy!