Back to Recipes
Betty's Indian Snack Recipe
Here's a great Indian snack, though it is not exactly like the IJ we were
used to. It did come from an Indian doctor, however. This is a very
forgiving recipe. You can add things to make it very hot or keep it mild.
- 1 medium box Rice Crispies
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 large cinnamon stick broken into a couple of pieces
- 2 T salad oil
- bay leaves or curry leaves
- 1 - 2 T mustard seeds
- red pepper
- curry powder
- 2 C mixed nuts or peanuts or cashews (as many or few as you want)
- 1 C raisins
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 T sugar
- Melt stick of butter and mix in 1 T curry powder, 1 T sugar and 1 tsp
salt. Pour this over the Rice Crispies in a large bowl. Mix well --with
hands if necessary.
- In a frying pan, put 2 T salad oil, 2 bay leaves, cinnamon (broken up
into 3 or 4 pieces), and 1-2 T mustard seeds. Fry until the seeds pop.
- Then add curry powder and red pepper powder to taste; add nuts and
raisins. Fry a short time, making sure you do not burn the raisins.
- Pour into Rice Crispies in bowl and mix well with hands.
- Pour the mix onto cookie sheets and bake at very low heat (200-250
degrees) for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully so the raisins aren't puffy
- Cool and store in a tight container. Keeps well indefinitely.