Back to Recipes
Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgandy)
David, Susan, Madison, Henry, Frank and I joined Betty and Carl for dinner
one evening this fall. This is a dish that Carl made for all of us. It
was absolutely delicious! -Jo
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 to 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbl. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound small white onions, peeled
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbl. margarine or butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, each cut into quarters if large
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until beginning to
brown; transfer to bowl. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Add 1 teaspoon
oil to drippings in Dutch oven; increase heat to medium-high. Add beef in
batches and cook, adding 1 teaspoon more oil if necessary, until well
browned; transfer to bowl with bacon.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped onion, carrots, and garlic and
cook, stirring often, until tender. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Stir
in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Add wine, bay leaf, thyme, 1 teaspoon
salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; stir until brown bits are loosened.
- Return beef and bacon to Dutch oven and heat to boiling over high heat.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beef is very
tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat small white onions, sugar, 1
tablespoon margarine, and 1 cup water to boiling over high heat. Reduce
heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until onions are tender.
Uncover; cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally, until water
evaporates and onions are golden.
- In 12-inch skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon margarine over
medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and a pinch each salt and pepper; cook,
stirring often, until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates. Stir
onions and mushrooms into stew. Garnish and serve.