Back to Recipes
This is a simple fry bread recipe that I like to make, especially
when out camping. They are especially good with honey on them!
It does use hot oil, so parents should help out with it--Steve
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Some oil for frying
- Mix the flower, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in oil and water.
- Knead dough lightly until it is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball, place in plastic bag and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Form chilled dough into about 12 balls and flatten (should form disks about 4 inches wide).
- Use a butter knife to make an "X" on the disks. This makes them breakable into quarters after fried.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Fry disks one at a time until slightly browned (about 1 minute each side).
- Place disk on paper towl to drain and cool.
- Smother with honey, jelly, butter, or whatever, and eat!